The Church of the Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Virgin Mary is located in the centre of the old town in Gornja Podstrana. This building dates back to the early modern period and has seen several large-scale reconstructions. The first written mention of it came from the quill of a papal legate from 1625, an era when the church was smaller, less ostentatious and had only three altars: the main altar, which was dedicated to the Immaculate Conception, and the other two, which were dedicated to St George, the patron saint of Poljica.
In the early 18th century, the building was expanded and was referred to as the ˝new church˝ by archbishop Cupili in 1711. In the middle of the second half of the same century, the building was razed so that a new one could be built in its stead in order to accommodate the growing number of parishioners. The new church was completed in 1790, and in the late 19th century it was renovated and extended towards the west.
Today, there are five Late Baroque altars made of marble in the church. The main one is dedicated to the Most Blessed Sacrament and is most likely a product of the workshop of Pio Dall’ Acqua and G. B. Bozzi, who were renowned altar makers in Dalmatia during this period.
The altar of St Martin which, together with the altar of Souls in purgatory, stands alongside the southern church wall, is also their work. Along the northern wall are altars dedicated to the Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Virgin Mary and to Our Lady of the Rosary. The Church of the Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Virgin Mary was the parish church of Podstrana until the new parish church of Our Lady of Good Health was built in Šćadin after World War Two.